SC - Re: sca-cooks Greetings

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 17 10:52:32 PDT 1997

Christi Redeker wrote:

> Also the same I believe with Guinea Pigs.  They have Capybara (sp?) in
> most central and south American areas.  Which are the largest rodent and
> in the same direct family with the Cavy (guinea pig) that we know today.
>  The guinea pigs they eat in those countries are very large,
> comparatively, to what are raised as pet shop $$.  They have an average
> weight of 2-3 pounds more than the average pet type guinea pig.  (Yes
> ladies and gentlemen, I raised guinea pigs and rabbits as a child and
> actually showed them, there is and an association called the ACBA
> (American Cavy Breeders Association) just for those out there who do.

Have a great book somewhere. It is called "Unmentionable Cuisine," and
concerns all the foods against which taboos exist in various cultures,
i.e. in the continental U.S., that means virtually EVERYTHING.  Author
is Charles Schwabe, if I remember correctly. There's a neat chapter on
guinea pigs, among several such. I seem to recall most of the recipes
call for the cavy to be scalded and de-haired, but not skinned.

Yum!

Adamantius, thinking about pies now