SC - Galantine

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 17 21:04:26 PDT 1997

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Adamantius,
>
> >>By the way: Confits are believed by many to be Savoyard in
> origin...Anybody know offhand if they appear in Chiquart? I don't have a
> copy...I guess it would depend on the season of the feast Chiquart
> covers.<<
>
> Have just looked at the table of contents of Du Fait de Cuisine.  I
> didn't see anything like a confit, but remember that he was preparing the
> banquet from fresh food.  He must have made them at other times.  What a
> shame his Duke didn't nag for a general cookbook in addition!
>
> Allison

All true, I suppose <sigh>. On the other hand, it seems to have nice
sort of documentary feel for it to have a tight focus on one particular
feast.

The likelihood is that if confits of meat were used, they would be
considered, to some extent, interchangable with fresh meat (just as some
recipes leave it unclear as to whether thay are calling for salt or
fresh meat). That being the case, the possibility exists that the master
cook might not be the one that worries about confits, and so might omit
them from his book.

Adamantius