SC - Re: sca-cooks Creativity

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 17 21:53:29 PDT 1997

Susan said on Tuesday, April 15,

>I bought some at a Thai, Vietnamese grocery, I assumed
>that it is a spice and not a blend (I can't translate the label)

Perhaps you are thinking of galingale (sometimes called "galinga" or
"galingas")?

Was it powdered? I've found powdered galingale to be difficult to
find. I've found the "nuts" but I've heard it was so hard that it
can seriously damage many spice grinders. The East Kingdom Pepperer's
Guild had powdered galingale at Pennsic. But what I wanted it for
was Powder Forte and since they also sold that, I just bought that.

STefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com