SC - Game (y) meats

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Fri Apr 18 11:06:01 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-04-18 10:25:35 EDT, Christi writes:

<<  Do you have to offer free feasts to all the hunters around you?  I
 wanted pheasant once for dinner and asked a neighbor if he had one after
 hunting I would be really appreciative.  He gave it to me, but I had to
 invite him to dinner to compensate.>>

In Windkeep we have had "Hunters Feast" for 8 years running.  It is a feast
done entirely of donated wild game.  It serves a twofold purpose.  The money
made underwrites the shire budget for the next year, and it encourages the
local hunters to donate game.  The current policy is that if a hunter donates
game toward the feast, he or she receives a reduced fee.  A couple of times
someone has donated enough game for an entire course.  I let their whole
family in for free. (This feast is limited to 100 reservations, and usually
the charge is $10.)

The theme is obviously hunting.  We give prizes for the best garb, table
decoration, banner, etc. Last year the garb winner received a donated whole
deerskin, just tanned.  In fact the deer that was wearing the hide was served
at the feast.  This year we hope to make a cockatrice, if someone can find a
suckling pig at a reasonable price.

Aldyth
Aldyth at aol.com