SC - Re: sca-cooks Creativity

Fri Apr 18 12:11:37 PDT 1997

Fyrean,

>>Recipe ... please??  Anything to persuade people to eat fish (easy to
get in
a sea city ...)<<

Do you get fresh shark in your markets?  I had to find a way to cook it
when I lived with my father in Florida.  This is mundane, but you may be
able to find a related medieval fish recipe.  Shark is tough, so what I
finally found to do was to dice--about 1"--the raw shark.  I heated water
to boiling, pulled it off the burner, threw in a handful or two of shrimp
and plopped the lid on fast.  The shrimp stood in the hot water as long
as it took me to dice 2 shark steaks.  I scooped the shrimp out into a
colander, brought the water back to a boil, removed the pan again and
threw the shark dice into the hot shrimp flavored water.  It sat there
long enough for me to shell and de-vein the shrimp.  Once rinsed and well
drained and patted dry, shrimp and shark went into broiler dishes that
contained melted butter, a dash of white wine, and some garlic, and
occasionally some herb I felt like using.  This is wonderful.

If, instead of broiling it, you browned it in a little in oil, then you
could put over it any of the sauces which Platina says are to be served
with salt water fish.  The important thing is to get it tender, and let
the shrimp impart some of its flavor.

Allison