SC - Autocrats

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Sat Apr 19 10:56:00 PDT 1997

>My experience has been that SCA offices rarely have a set limit to
>their
>responsibilities, and people tend to be granted whatever level of
>authority  they assume, and people allow them to have. Just as an
>example, when I was local exchequer, I once asked an autocrat a couple
>of innocent questions about his budget for an event, out of curiosity,
>as an experienced autocrat myself. Suddenly there was a flash of
>light,
>and budgeting decisions suddenly became part of the exchequer's job.
>Autocrats were asking me how much they could charge for events. Took
>me
>the remaining three years to get that straightened out. I see now, in
>retrospect, that I could have just done a really lousy job, and that
>responsibility would suddenly vanish.

>Adamantius

What a concept! In our group, we hash all these things out after business
meetings while we eat refreshments. Anyone who cares can put their $.02
(sometime .03 or .04) worth in. Anyone around here who doesn't know
what's going on, isn't paying attention! Of course, we only have about 10
active members, and they're *very* active. Things seem to get done by
consensus without too much desention. I guess cause we're so used to
working together. If there are any problems, I usually get to make a
unilateral decision because I have more experience doing events than all
the rest of them put together. Sometimes that's cool, sometimes it's a
pain. As our group matures (we're only five years old, but we've run
eight events so far!) and gets more experience running and cooking
events, it should be interesting to see if we start running into problems
with autocrat vs. head cook!  Time will tell.:-)

Julleran (who's so glad that we have someone else willing to cook feasts
now)