SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #69

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Mon Apr 21 05:16:52 PDT 1997

>From: Uduido at aol.com
>Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 09:31:32 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: SC - Autocrats

><<  If you're going to serve it at all, it
> seems to me one should go for a typical recipe.)  As I recall, they didn't
> have enough to test it beforehand with eel -- another thing I would do
> differently.  But these were largely the autocrat's decisions, not the
> cook's.
>  >>

>What shire are you in that the Autocrat would would even presume to interfere
>in the Feastocrat's job? And how could a shire allow such a sad state of
>affairs to continue? I have never been exposed to this concept before. If the
>Autocrat even shoves his/her head in the Kitchen door I have been noted to
>say> "Ah, you're just who've I've been looking for! Here's a knife. There's
>50 lbs of onions in the walk-in.". :-)
>
>On a single occasion, I was asked for a menu in advance. I typed "Feast Menu"
>at the top of the 1 st page. The second page had the word "FOOD" typed in the
>middle.
>Never had the crat ask for that info since.What a hoot. :-)
>
>Lord Ras

You know, while I agree with you in principle, I have to say that the
autocrat does deserve to know what you're spending and what you're spending
it on. But i have another issue with the eels: In OUR group it is always the
responsibility of the cook to redact and eat privately any test-batches. So
if I wanted to cook eel, I'd have to go out and buy myself some first, just
to test the recipe. It's my duty to come to the event with a workable
knowledge of what I'm cooking.

And BTW, I like my eel jellied, with mash and green gravy. My Nanny Smif'
does it proud. We call her "The Keeper of the Recipe" and Matriarch of the
Clan, titles deserved by someone who can throw a live eel into a frying pan
and never turn a hair as is shrieks, banging down the lid and turning up the
heat.

Sigh.

Aoife--who last had jellied Eels, pickled winkles (you eat them with a pin),
and pie-mash faaaaar to long ago in london, when she was a mere maid viiting
her Nan. But thanks for supplying me with the blast from the past, guys!
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957