SC - Fried Fish

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Apr 21 06:26:28 PDT 1997

 Concerning ginger:
        I tried making candied ginger with the result that it was tough and
fibrous and nasty.  I told one of my friends who make it all the time and
she offered this information.  The ginger you buy in the store is normally
too old to candy well.  You need to look for or obtain what is called green
ginger, or very young ginger that has not become woody.  It is the same
shape as ginger but is whiyish rather than brown and the shoots at the ends
of the rhizome are pink and greenish (It really is pretty)  It is also much
milder.  If you use the older ginger peel the outer brown skin and thin use
the thin layer between the surface and the woodier center area, before it
gets woody.  You will have thin pieces but less woodiness.
        Ginger is relatively easy to grow.  Buy a nice rhizome and plant it
in a pot with sandy soil.  Water.  It should send up shoots and may flower.
At any rate, any time you want ginger just dig down and snap off a
section. It will overwinter on a windowsill in some areas.  I recently
bought a cinnamon ginger from a  herb nursery and when I looked up ginger
in Mrs. Grieves, it stated that all ginger is edible, just varying degrees
of heat and flavor.  I'm curious to
see whether or not the ginger has a cinnamon flavor.

Clare