SC - Turnips a la Beauce

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Apr 22 08:46:23 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just got my e-mail and am a little concerned with the number of hostile "If
> you want ...[research, redactions, documentation], then I won't post recipes"
> it, then posting it with commentary is *GREAT*.  Please, whenever possible
> (for some, more easily done than for others), please post the original.  I
> like to look at the original and decide for myself whether I agree with a
> redaction and how I might want to modify it.
>
> I also think that if you don't have all the research, documentation, etc.,
> post the recipe -- someone else might have something that will help you.

> Derdriu

It seems as if many of the cooks we run across on this list are a bit,
well, opinionated (except for me, naturally :  )  ). Many of us have
rather strong personalities, and very specific styles of working. I
believe the problem may be that we are expecting the people who post
recipes to maintain our own respective standards as to how that should
be done.

Personally, I am always more interested in an original source recipe
than in someone's redaction. Much as I value the work of others, I would
rather enjoy their cooking at a feast
than be expected to mimic their style when cooking my own. I don't even
pay too much attention to redactions I have done previously, preferring
to start from scratch each time from the original recipe.

However, I am perfectly happy to allow for stylistic differences in
other people's work, and in their postings as well. I guess the bottom
line here is that you should stick to your guns, post things the way you
want to, and let people be happy that you are trying to help. If the
format doesn't suit them, then there's always the delete key.

G. Tacitus Adamantius