SC - Turnips a la Beauce

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Tue Apr 22 15:30:28 PDT 1997

>>Sue Wensel wrote:
>> I just got my e-mail and am a little concerned with the number of
>>hostile "If  you want ...[research, redactions, documentation], then I
won't post
>>recipes" responses I have seen.  I think that if you have redacted a
recipe
>>and tried it, then posting it with commentary is *GREAT*.  Please,
whenever
>>possible (for some, more easily done than for others), please post the
>>original.  I like to look at the original and decide for myself whether
I agree
>>with a redaction and how I might want to modify it.
>>
>> I also think that if you don't have all the research, documentation,
>>etc., post the recipe -- someone else might have something that will
help
>>you.
>
>> Derdriu

>It seems as if many of the cooks we run across on this list are a bit,
>well, opinionated (except for me, naturally :  )  ). Many of us have
>rather strong personalities, and very specific styles of working. I
>believe the problem may be that we are expecting the people who post
>recipes to maintain our own respective standards as to how that should
>be done.
>
>Personally, I am always more interested in an original source recipe
>than in someone's redaction. Much as I value the work of others, I
>would rather enjoy their cooking at a feast than be expected to mimic
>their style when cooking my own. I don't even
>pay too much attention to redactions I have done previously,
>preferring to start from scratch each time from the original recipe.
>
>However, I am perfectly happy to allow for stylistic differences in
>other people's work, and in their postings as well. I guess the bottom
>line here is that you should stick to your guns, post things the way
>you want to, and let people be happy that you are trying to help. If the
>format doesn't suit them, then there's always the delete key.
>
>G. Tacitus Adamantius

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you.  I believe we should shelve the
authenticitist's handbook and look more toward the true meaning of this
list -- fellowship and communion.  I am here to learn and if that means
no documentation, oh well.  I am not concerned with reliving the Middle
Ages, but recreating it in my stylistic approach to my chosen period and
place (and I haven't nailed that down in concrete yet).  We will all have
philosophical differences, but please let's put these aside and "play
nicely."

There are few of you here that I will take your advice as though it were
"gospel" because of your impressive presence on this list.  Your wisdom
shows through.  There are a few I disagree with and unless "bulldogged",
I let bygones be bygones.  You are entitled to your own interpretation of
the meaning of this society -- as am I.

I want to learn more about period dishes and society.  That is why I
joined.  This doesn't mean I will be converted to a period flatfoot,
though -- try as you may, I am and will always be a rebel.

Forever in service,

Genevieve de Vaux
The Skunk Killer of Emerald Keep