SC - THE SOAP-BOX + Horseradish Recipe

James L. Matterer jmattere at weir.net
Wed Apr 23 11:39:53 PDT 1997

Ok, ALL YOU Meanies, lay off of Roz. I have a big cast-iron skillet and I'm
not afraid to use it as a mace!

Ahem. Well, maybe none of you picayune people ever hope to gain the esteem
and admiration of your fellow cooks or the Peers who judge us. Then again,
maybe you do. But it's a sad little system we have when we are seen to be
bickering in public---don't be fooled by your intimate relationship with
your computer terminal. This is an international news list, and your gripes
are aired the Known World around. It is our duty, regardless of our personal
aims in the Society, to promote our Art to the best of our ability on this
newslist and to the world at large. By doing this, we manage to accomplish
several things:

First, we feed the hungry and soothe the crabby, and give drink to the thirsty.
Second, we provide the single most important factor that lends an historical
atmosphere to an event.
Third, we show off what we know about what we do, in a creative and much
appreciated way.

As for me, I'm content with my lot in life when I can call my crew to the
kitchen door and tell them to look out at the happy, feasting, reveling mass
of gentles. "Look at what you made!" I tell them. This is what they have
really cooked for us. We couldn't have done it if we were fighting all the
way. Those happy diners are a reward unto themselves. None other is needed.

Well, that's not quite true. I once cooked a Scottish feast  for 120 at 7
months pregnant. I was bloated, crabby, tired, and overworked. Finally,
sitting down for a break when all was served, I was startled to be touched
on the shoulders by a gentleman who was not my husband. I had never met him
in my life. He kissed me on the cheek, turned around and left the kitchen,
wafting the odor of my Horseradish Sauce  behind him. That, my friends, is
all the praise I need.

Aoife, stepping down from the soap-box yet again.

OK. To the inevitable questions:

1 cup heavy cream
1 small Jar Prepared Horseradish OR 1/2 cup grated fresh horseradish and 1/4
cup
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder                                     malt vinegar
sugar to taste if desired (I don't)
Salt if desired

Whip the cream to stiff consistency. Fold in remaining ingredients to taste.
Chill. Serve cold with roasted meats. I have, upon occaision, doubled the
horseradish with good result.

No, I have no documentation. It's traditional English. They are all
documentable ingredients, and that's as close as I have bothered to get.

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957