SC - candied fruit peel

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 23 12:37:55 PDT 1997

> Ok, ALL YOU Meanies, lay off of Roz. I have a big cast-iron skillet and I'm
> not afraid to use it as a mace!

I wish to offer any apologies I may owe to Lord Raz.  I never intended to
blast him, only to convey my wish that all recipes be shared, especially those
with documentation/

> Ahem. Well, maybe none of you picayune people ever hope to gain the esteem
> and admiration of your fellow cooks or the Peers who judge us. Then again,
> maybe you do. But it's a sad little system we have when we are seen to be
> bickering in public---don't be fooled by your intimate relationship with
> your computer terminal. This is an international news list, and your gripes
> are aired the Known World around.

Agreed.  In fact, my mentor/Pelican (I am working out exactly what I feel is
appropriate to call her without sounding possessive) and her husband are both
fond of reminding me that e-mail creates an artificially immediate atmosphere
of interaction.  Remember that we can not always read emotions through the
words someone uses; we lose the facial expression and vocal tone that are so
instrumental in conveying our messages.

>It is our duty, regardless of our personal
> aims in the Society, to promote our Art to the best of our ability on this
> newslist and to the world at large. By doing this, we manage to accomplish
> several things:
>
> First, we feed the hungry and soothe the crabby, and give drink to the
thirsty.
> Second, we provide the single most important factor that lends an historical
> atmosphere to an event.
> Third, we show off what we know about what we do, in a creative and much
> appreciated way.

Fourth, we have *FUN*!

<snip>

> Well, that's not quite true. I once cooked a Scottish feast  for 120 at 7
> months pregnant. I was bloated, crabby, tired, and overworked. Finally,
> sitting down for a break when all was served, I was startled to be touched
> on the shoulders by a gentleman who was not my husband. I had never met him
> in my life. He kissed me on the cheek, turned around and left the kitchen,
> wafting the odor of my Horseradish Sauce  behind him. That, my friends, is
> all the praise I need.

 Poor baby,  I thought I had it bad, cooking a Scottish feast the day before
my lady left for a year stay in Costa Rica.

> Aoife, stepping down from the soap-box yet again.
>

> OK. To the inevitable questions:
>
> 1 cup heavy cream
> 1 small Jar Prepared Horseradish OR 1/2 cup grated fresh horseradish and 1/4
> cup
> 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder                                     malt vinegar

> sugar to taste if desired (I don't)
> Salt if desired
>
> Whip the cream to stiff consistency. Fold in remaining ingredients to taste.
> Chill. Serve cold with roasted meats. I have, upon occaision, doubled the
> horseradish with good result.
>
> No, I have no documentation. It's traditional English. They are all
> documentable ingredients, and that's as close as I have bothered to get.

Sounds good, but the only times I've had horseradish, it hasn't stayed down
more than an hour or two.

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com