SC - RE fishdays

Ilkka Heikki Salokannel Rennes at xl.ca
Wed Apr 23 17:30:16 PDT 1997

Having looked at Lord Ras's menus: Ah, the Menagier.  I was looking at
English sources; did I forget to specify that?  I'm nowhere near as
familiar with the French menus, and offhand memory certainly will not
serve on its own.

I'll have a look shortly at the menu in NBoC -- but one quick comment.
Contrefait brawne is a fish dish (just as eggs in Lent is an almond dish).
The rest, I'll have to look at.  There are a lot of standard dishes that
have both fish and meat versions; but I may simply have missed that menu.
It's been a long time since I looked at the menus in NBoC.

Obviously eating habits vary from place to place.  For that matter,
they vary according to time.  But if you are right about Henry V (which
you may be), that's an interesting datum, and very much at odds with
the rest of the 13-15th C record from England that I'm aware of.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry