SC - cheese goo

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Apr 24 07:54:52 PDT 1997

  >   Annejke, that sounds quite heavenly!  Where does it come from?
  >
  > Alys, Birds come from Bees.  I thought everyone knew that.
  > 	Tibor (:-)

  But geese come from barnacles, or so Gerard says, so not all birds
  come from bees!

Alys, I know you are "joking".  But, in period it was believed that barnacle
geese were from barnacles, and hence fish.  Not to mention that beavers
"breathed" water through their tails, making beaver tails also fit for Lent.

It is obvious that the writers of the Heraldic Bestiaries weren't in touch
with that Lenten rule...  the stories of the "habits" of a frightened beaver
are vulgar, but make it clear that it wasn't exactly a fish....

(The sexual organs of beavers were considered an aphrodisiac.  A beaver,
when chased through the woods, would bite those organs off, throw them at
the pursuer, and race away.   They would "grow back".  At least, according
to those bestiaries.  And we think Pelicans are self-destructive just for
biting blood out of their breasts!)

	Tibor