SC - FACTS_Grapefruit

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 07:17:43 PDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << However, every kitchen/pantry I've dealt with won't accept food unless it
> is
>  in its original packaging - not even home canned. >>
>
> What a tragedy! As past Director of Mission Harvest at St. Anthony's Center
> (5 yrs.), I can assure you that the SCC do not look a gift horse in the mouth
> and there was many a time when I carried buckets, kettles and jars of stuff
> in the back door. It is truly a sad state of affairs when the government
> forbids the poor access to nutritious food of any sort. During the Middle
> Ages it was common practice to gather up the trenchers and leftovers and
> distribute them to the poor. Alas, the modern world has lost yet another
> wonderful custom to the monster of "progressive thinking". <sigh>

When I went to Lycoming College, a number of years back, I spent a day
working at Saint Anthony's Center.  It was definitely an eye-opening
experience.  In the middle of the day, I remember someone dropping off
leftovers from a Wedding, mainly a large tray of sliced, roast beef.  They
were ecstatic about it.  Seeing people who were so thrilled to receive
food that I would have thrown out, can have a heart-wrenching effect on
you.

I commend you for working there for 5 years.  You truly must be a
dedicated and caring individual.

Kael