SC - itty-bitty fish recipes.

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 05:49:29 PDT 1997

Hello friends.

        About farmers cheese:  What I can buy commercially that is called
Farmer's Cheese is nothing more than what is called "Green Cheese" or
unripened, pressed curds in our historical time frame. If you break it apart
in your fingers you can clearly see that a large curd was allowed to form.
It was salted, pressed (whey removed to make it more solid) and then sliced
into a brick, wrapped, and sold as farmer's cheese. These cheeses are
probably the closest to what we can buy that is similar to what most period
recipes for "cheese tarts" are made of, if somewhat drier. The cheese tartes
or pies in my experience were supposed to be lumpy, although you can see
that this cheese breaks apart very easily. I make my own curds with milk
from Jersey cows. It is far, far superior.

        Now, what I grew up calling Farmer's cheese is something different.
We also called it Cup Cheese, and was in essence a strong smelling liquid
cheese sold in cups or tubs (no rind visible), and roughly had the
consistency of that children's play thing, Slime, although it was clear- to
faint yellow. (PLEASE, no jokes about bodily excreta). It's a Pennsylvania
Dutch (Or Amish) delicacy, and deservedly so if you like stinky cheese.
Anyone from Lancaster, PA out there who could get me a recipe would be
rewarded with my undying thanks!

      I would appreciate a private e-mail or post of the cheese goo recipe.
I have been waivering for months now over fresh cheese with fine herbs or
"savory toasted cheese" (not my recipe--the brie version, but I havn't
gotten my hands on the recipe yet) for a feast. I much prefer my own
cheeses, because they're richer and have far more character and flavor than
bought cheese. Must be the unpasteurized, fresh Jersey Cow milk, cream and all.

Aoife

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957