SC - Beverages

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Fri Apr 25 07:28:43 PDT 1997

<< I'm not sure where I would find the small fish for the whitebait pancake.
 I'm not about to go out and buy a bag of minnows at a nearby bait shop
 for this.  >>

Why not? That's exactly what the Frugal Gourmet reccommends (as did I) when
doing a recipe for deep-fried baitfish. The farming of fish is no different
baitfish than it is for trout or catfish or any other farmed fish. And fish
is fish. :-) Period ingredients are often times found at locations other than
your local supermarket , and part of the fun of Middle Cookery is trying to
dig up sources for the ingredients.

I often find ingredients in the most unusual places. For example, when I did
my Middle Eastern Feast, none of the locals would sell me the 2 goats I
needed and the supermarket did not carry goat meat. I went to a live stock
auction and bought them there for half the price that the "pet" breeders were
asking. We raised them for 2 months, milking everyday. We made feta cheese
for the feast from the milk, classes in butchering , hide tanning, knife
handles from bones, and the making of a water bag from the stomach. Very
informative!. :-) Rabbits can often be had for as little as $2.00 a piece
from area kids that raise them as pets. (Fat, juicy and tender! :-))  Special
treats such as dandelion buds can be gathering , blanched and frozen for use
at a later feast when they are in season. And there is no lack of people
around here who need someone to get those "damn" pidgeons out of the attic.

Lord Ras