SC - Crayfish

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 07:16:26 PDT 1997

> In going over these last few messages on the server, I came accross a
> message that I didn't know how to take. So rather than flame about it, I
> will ask the author to explain in more detail!
>
> From: Donna J. White <skunkkiller at juno.com>
> > To: sca-cooks at eden.com
> > Cc: sca-cooks at eden.com
> > Subject: Re: SC - Crayfish
>
> > Well, I am no expert, but if someone is allergic to iodine, does it
> > matter if freshwater crawdads are period or not?
>
> This person's answer sounds like she is saying that because she is allergic
> to iodine and seafood contains this product that we shouldn't even discuss
> crawdad recipes. If this is what you mean, then I am sorry you feel that
> way. I don't mean to flame or in any other way abuse your opinion, but the
> server is here as a source of ALL information. Not just information that is
> relevant or selectively adapted for one person's needs. That is one reason
> why there are Subject boxes and those boxes contain what the thread is
> about.

I didn't take the question to be one of not serving seafood, but rather, since
there are allergies out there to iodine (my mother is one of the sufferers),
would it be legitimate to substitute the freshwater crawfish, sans iodine, for
the saltwater variety.  As long as iodine is the cause of the allergic
reaction, I say certainly!

> Censorship bothers me. Many people adopt the idea that if something is bad
> for one person, then it could be bad for others. If we adopted that
> attitude with everything then we would not have one bit of historical
> information, because someone or some group would find some reason that
> everything is bad.

How does this relate to the question above?  I am missing the connection.

> Also, being a person with his own allergies, I am ultimately responsible to
> check the menu and decide for myself what I can and cannot feast upon. As
> the cook for the feast I create the meal based on the recipe and I don't
> take anyone's allergies into concideration, including my own. I post the
> menu and below the menu is a list of food and ingredients, including wine
> if used. Often I will have plain chicken and or roast beef for the weak of
> palate or people with allergies.  (Too many times the word allergic is
> substituted for "I don't like".) I know this sounds callous, but short of
> serving water at a feast I refuse to over taxing my staff and feast budget
> by "guesstimating". I present foods that have been well accepted or recipes
> like those that are well accepted. I have been cooking this way since 1972
> and have never had anyone go away hungry or angry. I treat all my feasters
> with the same respect, "You know what you can eat!"

This is one attitude a cook can take.  At the same time, I have been to feasts
that vegetarians can't eat, except for a very few number of vegetable dishes,
because meat/broth/lard was used in nearly every dish.

I myself ask to be notified of allergies/dietary restrictions.  I honor those
I know about -- usually this is a matter of not using butter/providing a
vegetarian alternative, not putting nuts in one serving, etc. -- not anything
I consider taxing.  When possible, I will post what is in the dish, or the
server will answer questions.  If you don't notify me ahead of time, however,
you takes your chances.

> I appologise if I have offended anyone by not honoring their opinions, but
> this is a server meant for discussion. I have tried very hard not slam or
> flame anyone. I am from Trimaris and I would love to see more recipes that
> contain fish or seafood.

I too would like to see more recipes for fish and seafood.

> Lord Mandrigal of Mu

Derdriu

- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com