SC - Allergies! Who is responsible?

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Mon Apr 28 11:25:28 PDT 1997

Aha! I was wondering who would wonder about the peppers. That's what's wrong
with the dish. There are several recipes out there for Roman "Toast" that
include several sorts of things like butter or olive oil, garlic, anchovies,
salt and pepper, cheese, and they usually get put on a horizontally sliced
loaf and heated in the oven. Is it Pizza? No. Could you make a suspicious
but hungry fighter happy by offering him "Medieval White Pizza". Sure. Blame
it on that old salt Apecius, among others.

BTW this is a feast for camping. Wrap it in foil and put it near the fire,
unless you're as insane as I am and insist on a camp oven. <<sigh. It's
aluminum. One day I'll get to play with a real one.>>. I like to add fresh
herbs. I once served it to my husband's wargaming buddies, and they thought
they'd actually found nirvanna. Seems no one actually COOKED for them before.

The advantage of consulting The List? I had found an old cookbook with
ethnic recipes, and picked out the "most ancient" to try at the "day after
the feast" feast on labor day weekend . I made the infamous spanish "Pizza"
dish, and people ate it (and some complained while they were doing it). No
one had ever told me peppers weren't period, and I never had The List as a
resource. 'Course back then, I didn't even have anyone to ask about where to
start looking for period resources, so my repertoire was basically ethnic.
But, when you live in a group where the only willing cook has just quit the
SCA because she never recieved much more than a thank-you for her many years
of service, you have to learn to roll with it. But that was centuries ago in
a world far far away, when I called myself Marigold (I was blonde then, so I
guess I had an excuse--I was too foolish to run screaming). Mother nature
gave me wisdom, experience and increasingly brown hair in equal measure. Now
I'm going gray. It's my excuse to be the senile old cook. No one is allowed
in my kitchen if they're not willing to sing (or at least hum a few tunes!).
Hey----My Kitchen, My Rules.

Toodles,
Aoife,

Who ALWAYS makes her mistakes in public. Luckily she's got this thick skin
that is pretty much inpenetrable by now from being constantly flamed.

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957