SC - (Fwd) [SCA-CAID:10641] Something on pasta

S.Thomas morgan at in-tch.com
Mon Apr 28 14:23:34 PDT 1997

        When I was cooking a lot for feasts and such, I always had a wide
variety of people come in  with allergies.  Sometimes they told me ahead of
time and sometimes they waited to the last minute.  After I got to know the
person and if I found out that they would be coming, I would automatically
cook up something separate.  One of my friends was King twice and was
violently allergic to onions.  While he sat as the Crown, I never planned
anything with onions.  He told me once that he really appreciated when
people remembered because he had been set up several times by people who
were sure it was all in his head and would slip onions in on the sly.  He
always felt that he could eat anything I cooked because he knew I'd
remember.  I think that being considerate about allergies is a two way
street.  If you know some one is coming and has an allergy, cook something
separate for them and if you are going somewhere please let the cook know
if you can't eat something.  This last Candlemas where Clarissa cooked,
someone walked in ten minutes before the feast started and announced that
her son was allergic to wheat and could she please have special food.
Clarissa tried to accomodate as best she could, but when you consider that
the sauces were usually thickened with bread crumbs, it was a little
difficult.
I think it's hard to make everyone happy but most cooks pride themselves on
wanting people to like their food and strive to make sure everyone has a
good time.

Clare