SC - Vegetarian dishes

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Apr 29 07:27:56 PDT 1997

My allergy control is in three parts.
Firstly, I make sure all ingredients to dishes are listed. I also no matter how busy I am will make
myself available to discuss the ingredients with who-ever has the need.

Secondly, I will try to provide food that is free of the dangerous substance if requested
beforehand. But I will not sacrifice the well being of the feast to make one-offs. Many times
the best I can do is to say don't eat this or that dish. I have produced special dishes when time
and space allows. Notification before the feast is a way of making this happen but I have had
situations where people have turned up on the night and said I can't eat meat, nuts, dairy foods or
flour (real example!) what are you cooking for me? I do not under any circumstances
promise a allergen(sp?) free feast.

Thirdly, I expect people with allergies to manage their condition. There are important legal
considerations to this third point. If I try to provide an allergy free feast and I fail as per
some of the horror stories that some of our list friends have recounted and suffered though,
then I could well be sued and deservedly so. Most people with allergies will be responsible
for their conditions and anything we as cooks can do is gratefully appreciated.

One thing I never do is lie about recipes, ingredients, or cooking methods. If I have a dish
cooked for me and I don't know exactly what is in it I always say "I don't know the ingredients
to this one, you had better avoid it".

Oh yes, most people with severe food allergies need and deserve a bit of sympathy.

Charles of the Park
(Who is very allergic to house dust and some pollens to the point of having
 difficulty seeing on some spring days)

Charles Dean    charles at macquarie.matra.com.au
Matra Internetworks - Internet service providers.
Ph (06) 251 6730  Fax (06) 253 4840
PO BOX 714, Jamison Centre, ACT 2614 AUSTRALIA