SC - Manicotti

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 06:56:45 PDT 1997

Aoife wrote:
> So why does this bug me? I'll tell you---It violates the Host/Guest compact
> we enter into when we host a feast. I'm bugged when I can't accomodate my
> guests. Hey! I just had a thought: For the severely allergic, could you be
> placated by a special low-labor but pretty platter: Say, fruit, veggies,
> bread, cold meat (chicken, or thinly sliced beef, maybe?) and cheese
> (several options/types given)? I have to do this stuff for the royalty
> mid-afternoon nibbles anyway. I could just make more..... Plus, I could make
> it and chill it in the morning, to avoid the pre-feast frenzy. If it was
> drop-dead gorgeous, I bet it would fly. What do you think?

As yet another person who has allergies, I must say that I am not
bothered terribly when I can't eat some or most of a feast as long as
I know ahead of time and there is off-board seating nearby.  It is
frustrating to be told that "only one or two dishes" will be
off-limits, and then have to go looking for a McDonald's on the way
home.  If I can't eat most of feast, I'd rather not pay for it.

If there is off-board seating in the feast hall, I can bring a tiny
period feast for myself and my family (my husband is a picky eater,
and usually doesn't like the things I'm allergic to, although he has
no allergies).  I'd rather not have to huddle in a corner or go
elsewhere, since lots of great entertainment happens during dinner
(and I'm usually a part of it).

These days, my home group knows exactly what my allergies are.  One
of my friends sometimes makes an alternate dish or two, but the
others just let me know (quite clearly) what I can't eat.  That's
really all I ask.
Claricia Nyetgale
Canton of Caldrithig
Barony of Skraeling Althing
Ealdormere  (still mostly in the Middle Kingdom)