SC - Cold Dishes

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Apr 29 07:45:27 PDT 1997

<< Flat pasta is period. There are several recipes that I know of that talk
 about how to make flat noodles. I haven't seen anything about round
 noodles (spaghetti), hollow noodles (macaroni, manacoti, etc) though. >>

I agree with your observations about flat pasta. However, since manicotti is
a type of crepe that is wrapped around a filling, I don't quite follow your
reason for listing it as a "noodle". I certainly hope you were not referring
to the giant macaroni abominations that are available in supermarkets and say
"manicotti" on the box!

If you were making a reference to that particular yuck-stuff, I would like to
point out that whoever named it manicotti had never eaten the real thing. And
it's resemblance to real manicotti is at best illusory. It doesn't even begin
to find a common ground in the flavor category and , thankfully, you are
correct that that particular product is NOT period. However, since crepes and
fillings are period, I would venture to put forth the opinion that "real
crepe-type manicotti" probably is period. Has anyone done research in this
area?

Lord Ras