SC - Love Apple

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Wed Apr 30 07:25:52 PDT 1997

> << Elizabethan England:
>  	Kidney Bean Tart
>  	Parsnips and marigold in orange juice
>  Spain: 	Gazpacho-tomato and cucumber based, chilled
>  	 several omlettes- Tortilla de Patatas is potato based
>  Portugal: Omeleta de tomate
>  	 	Pineapple
>
>  -Sveva >>
>
> Not to be a spoil sport here, but since there are many delicious period
> vegetarian dishes available, I would be somewhat hesitant to include dishes
> that contain tomatoes or potatoes (tomatoes were grown solely as ornamentals
> by the Elizabethans and potatoes were considered to all intent and purposes
> poison. Both were very rare as they were introduced at the very end of
period
> and can be considered as garden novelties but certainly not as an item of
> food.)
>
> Kidney beans, although they became popular shortly after their introduction
> in late period are not generally considered period. Favas, garbanzos, and
> lentils are OK tho'.
>
> Ditto on the pineapple.
>
> Marigolds (the French type) were not introduced until well after period.
When
> a period recipe calls for "marigolds" the plant actually referred to is the
> Pot Marigold e.g. Calendula.
>
> Lord Ras

Silly me.  I just assumed that when people were talking about marigold they
meant calendula.  Shows what my biases are.

Derdriu
(who will go back and remind herself that plants have modern and medieval
names.  Now what modern plant is the love apple?)
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com