Hello! -Reply

JANINE BRANNON janineb at smtpgw.mis.ssh.edu
Wed Apr 9 13:03:40 PDT 1997

Angie Capozello wrote:

> And also, I'd like to know what sort of spices, herbs
> and veggies were grown in the typical medieval kitchen garden (if they
had
> them - I'm sure they didn't buy everything at the market).  I'd love to
> start my own garden so I can have fresh foods when I'm
experimenting with
> a new recipe.

I recently read a fascinating book on reconstructing medieval gardens,
written by a lady who does it professionally at historical sites in
Great Britain.  I'll look up the bibliographic information when I get
home.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/
                                        Math/CS Dept, Adelphi University

I don't know if anyone here subscribes to a magazine called _The Herb
Quarterly_, but in it's summer '96 issue, it has an article by N.S. Gill
_Medieval Roots of my Modern Thyme Garden_.  In it, she lists some
common modern culinary herbs, such as sage, lemon balm, thyme,
lovage, parsley, oregano, chives, as well as some medicinal herbs such
as good ole' echinacea, evening primrose, yarrow.  Also listed was
cabbage and strawberries, and numerous flowery plants such as pinks,
pansies and nasturtiums, to name a few.  Since I have just about all of
the above in my garden (or will, as soon as it stops snowing), I guess I'm
on my way to medieval cooking!

Janine