Re(2): New to List

Alys of Foxdale foxdale at wolfstar.com
Wed Apr 9 18:06:51 PDT 1997

> Derdriu wrote:
> > Don't forget something to brew coffee in and a pot for hot water for tea,
> > cocoa, whatnot.  I know cocoa's not period, but try getting most kids to drink
> > anything else hot!
>
> How about hot granatus, or hot lemonade (great when you have a cold!),
> or some of the other sugar-syrup drinks that are so copiously documented
> in medieval Arabic sources?  Most of them are good both hot and cold.
>
> 					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib

Ok, being the new kid on the block, I'll bite -- what's granatus?

And since I'm the new kid on the block, I'll now complete the
obligatory introduction.

I love cooking, although having tried it a couple of times, I know
that helping out in a feast kitchen is not something I'll do often.
My talents and organizational skills work best for groups of less than
twenty.

I am interested in learning more about foods that travel well, i.e.
things that don't get messy and that keep well in the car all weekend.
I'm getting tired of sausages and cheese for snacks...

I vaguely remember (from a couple of years before I joined the SCA,
actually!) hearing about an Eastern thing called hais that was made
from ground almonds and dates -- does this sound familiar to anyone?
Can I get a recipe for it?

   Alys of Foxdale          Shire of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
 mka Sallie Montuori               Chantilly, Virginia, USA
foxdale at wolfstar.com