sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Apr 10 08:52:31 PDT 1997

> I've noticed the avoidence of "new world" foodstuffs, but my
> understanding of history was that Europeans were visiting the "new
> world" before 1600 (1492 comes to mind for some biazzare reason -wasn't
> some viking sailing around then? =8^) Is it that the exportation of
> foodstuffs to Europe didn't begin until after period? My knowledge of
> late 15/16/17th centuries is more than a little rusty...
>
> -Eogan-

It is true that we had already visited the New World well before the end of
period; however, not that many foodstuffs were transported until well into the
16th century (my roommate is a mesoamerican archealogist getting her PhD in
mesoamerican anthropology).  Chocolatl, for example, was brought to Italy
before then end of period and was drunk as a *very* special treat, but was too
bitter for European tastes.  The first records of its appearance in England
were not until after 1650 -- even then it was in small quantities.

Chocalatl was made by dissolving unsweetened chocolate, including cocoa
butter, in hot water.  After period, additions of vanilla, cinnamon, sugar,
milk began being made, but in period, chocolatl was not a popular drink.

I don't have an exact date for corn, but I know it wasn't until well after
period.  Potatoes actually come onto the scene just before the end of period;
however, they were perceived, initially as poisonous, then as food for
livestock, or the poor - during famine.

My lady and I are planning (when she returns from her research next year) of
doing an Aztec/Mesoamerican themed feast.  We are currently working on a menu
and configuration for a tourney.

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/