Re(2): sca-cooks Re: Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Thu Apr 10 09:35:10 PDT 1997

             Just an experiment:  Leave some meat in your refrigerator uncovered
  (remember, plastic is modern) or covered with cheesecloth for a day or two and
  see how that changes the flavor.  Having inadvertantly done that recently, I
  will attest that the meat changes flavor quite dramatically -- it does not
  stay fresh as long.

I am sure it would... but remember that a modern (by which I mean
frost-free) refrigerator is a cold dehydrator.  It constantly circulates
cold air that is VERY dry.  Now, if you had placed it in a sealed box (like
the non-period Tupperware) and THEN placed it in the fridge: that would be
closer.

I suspect you were well on your way to making jerky.  And, all would agree
that jerky is different from fresh meat.

	Tibor