Re(2): sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Apr 10 13:18:23 PDT 1997

<SNIP> (large snip for lots of info)

>   One thing I do disagree on is corn - recent research has turned up
>   references to it in 13 and 14th century Chinese and Indian texts about
>   the medicinal and nutritional values of different plants and animals -
>   that's certainly not enough to include corn tortillas at a Saxon feast,
>   but it was around in some places besides the Americas.
>
> [Authenticist alert] We don't do Asia: we do Western Culture.   But I
> digress.

Regardless, as I have posted privately to Eogan, the evidence of corn/maize in
Chinese and Indian contexts is poor.  There is a discussion going on the
anthopology list about whether corn (maize) was used in China/India and that
there was trade going on between China/India and the New World.  The evidence
of this is incredibly flimsy:

1.	The evidence I have heard cited was a picture that was not terribly well
preserved.  The academic experts who had reviewed the picture concluded that
it was a different grain (wheat, but I am not certain).  My roommate could
give you much more detail as she was actively reading the list at that time.
I have asked her to send me the info.

2.	Most of the boats being used at the time would not have survived an open
ocean transport.  The sailing that did go on at the time was all within sight
of land. (Is there anyone who can lend more information on this?)

(Wondering aloud)  I am not a Chinese/Indian scholar, my focus is the British
Isles, but I have heard that corn was also a word used for wheat.  Is there
any veracity to this claim?

While the focus of the SCA is on the Western culture, we can not be quick to
discount the influence of the East on our culture.  Where would we be without
Eastern trade?  I believe this is the arguement set forth to justify maize.

> 	Tibor

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/