sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Beth Morris bmorris at access.digex.net
Thu Apr 10 13:16:24 PDT 1997

Jeffrey Miller wrote:

> > always challenging them.  If your wonderful feast includes a Roast
> > Port, or a beef stew like Bruit Vergay, or a salad with dressing or
> > broccoli with garlic and lemon (Castelvetro), then the side dishes can
> > be neat and interesting.
>
> *chuckle* Why, that's exactly the path I'm taking! :) Besides, I don't
> feel like cooking a main dish that will flop - but if people don't like
> my parsnip/carrot hash, I'm not as heartbroken :)

Exactly the tack to take!  I was surprised, one time though - I'd made
one of the Arab dishes of fish stuffed with herbs & garlic & nuts and it
turned out terrific and I'd only made enough for everyone to have a
taste because of the "weirdness factor". Oh well.

> > And, if your true justification for asking about New World foods is to
> > "placate the hungry masses" by feeding them familiar foods, then while the
> > tone of the responses you got was horrid, they were on target: Just tell
> > them that Domino's delivers only to the back of the hall, and spend your day
> > feeding good medieval food to those that want to learn something.
>
> *laugh* I can just see it - like guilty teens caught with a can of beer,
> they'd sneak out of camp, then back in..

Nope. One monarch of my acquaintance had a pizza delivered to high
table.  It was unfortunate.

Keilyn