sca-cooks: hot and cold

Fiona P. bilby at matra.com.au
Sat Apr 12 07:21:15 PDT 1997

At 9:07 AM -0400 12/4/97, Stephen Bloch wrote:
>At 11:14 AM -0400 11/4/97, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
>> >On the other hand, how would you know if what you create was something a
>> >period person would say "Yech" to?  Do you know, for example, which foods
>> >were hot and which were cold?
>to which Fyrean replied:
>> If I make up a "modern" recipe, I do it on the basis of knowing what is
>> best served hot, cold, spiced, etc.
>I believe Mark was thinking of "hot" and "cold" in humour, rather than
>temperature or flavor.  ...
Ah.  Wooops.  Many thanks for that clarification - I forgot about that!
Could you possibly give some examples of the foods that represent the
humours?

>> If I read enough, and learn techniques to
>> the point that they become automatic, then whatever I create using those
>> techniques and foodstuffs, based on my knoweldge of the times, must be at
>> least faintly recognisable to my great-great (etc) grandparents.
>Probably.  I'll take Fyrean's word that he is as good as he says at
>learning the cuisines of other cultures.  I'm not sure I am, so I tend
>to stick to recipes that I _know_ are period, and hope my 20th-century
>bias isn't screwing up the redaction too much.  YMMV.

She, dear one, she.  I wonder - is is possible to immerse oneself so
entirely in another culture or time period that one can entirely shake off
the bias of the original time period or culture?  After all, culture is
simply a set of learned values, which can therefore be unlearned ... *steps
back, dons asbestos underwear, and awaits the flammage*  ;)

This is a FUN list ...

                      - Fyrean McNeil of Barra -

	O feminea forma, O soror Sapientie, quam gloriosa es ...