sca-cooks SCA-ck Lard Preservation

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sat Apr 12 22:36:31 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  I wrote:

>> For what it's worth: there's a medieval recipe for keeping venison that
>> seals it in a container immersed in honey after cooking.  The principle is
>> presumably similar: the cooking kills bad stuff in the meat, and the honey
>> both keeps out air and provides too rich a medium for new bad stuff to
>> grow.

And Aibhilin asked:

>I would be interested in where this can be found.  I am not a familair
>with late period sources as I am with early stuff would it be all right to
>let me know where to look for this thanks

I think I've seen it a couple of places, but I've located only one of them
(I can dig further, if you really want).  However, this doesn't quite match
my memory, in that the venison isn't cooked.  The directions are to press
out all the blood, place it in an earthen vessel, and fill with honey until
the honey stands two fingers' breadth over the meat, then bind the top
of the vessel with leather, and keep it away from air, sun, or wind.
The claim is that it will keep "over the year".  The recipe is in Liber
Cure Cocorum (page 33 of the Morris edition).

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry