sca-cooks Viking Period Cooking - Looking for Information about

Sharon L. Harrett afn24101 at afn.org
Sun Apr 13 21:50:43 PDT 1997

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Philip W. Troy wrote:

> Sharon L. Harrett wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 Harbarth at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > My wife and I are new to the SCA and we are getting ready
> > > to attend our 1st event.  We have choosen the viking period
> > > as a starting place in history for our garb and study.
> > >
> > > Looking for books or information about food and cooking
> > > during that period.  Any ideas or suggestions would be very
> > > helpful.
> > >
> > >                      In service to the Dream - Harbarth (Richard Bohlman)
> > >
> > In Duke Sir Cariadoc's collection of period cookbooks he includes one page
> > of recipes from "An Old Icelandic Medical Miscellany" (henning Larsen, Oslo,
> > 1931 pp214-218) that includes 22 recipes. I know the good Duke has a
> > homepage but don't know its' address. Anyone?
> >
> > Ceridwen
>
> There's just one problem with the Icelandic Medical Miscellany: while it
> appears to have been written (possibly) by an Icelandic author, and
> discovered in Iceland, the recipes it contains are believed to have been
> acquired by the author while at medical school in one of the great
> Southern European centers of learning: I don't remember if it was
> Sienna, the Languedoc, or perhaps Spain. I think it was Provence,
> though. So, the Miscellany appears actually to be a French cookbook
> transported to Iceland.
>
> Yes, I know life would be much simpler if stuff like this didn't happen,
> but what can I say? That's the way the oubley crumbles.
>
> Adamantius

Hmmmmm, since I only have the one page, I had no idea, other than to take
the translator's word. Any ideas on the date of the original? The recipes
that I have seem to be somewhat more primitive than my other sources (mostly
in the same collection, but I have a few more) BTW, the "Icelandic Chicken"
redaction by His Grace has become a favorite feast food down here. :)

Ceridwen