sca-cooks Farmgirls Version

Mon Apr 14 06:18:00 PDT 1997

  	I have a question concerning the use of wine in cooking.  I am
  allergic to sulfates which are present in 'most' wines, do they cook off
  or would they remain?  I have avoided tasting any dishes that are made
  this way and tend to substitute broth or other liquids, any suggestions?

Note that sulfites are a very common and natural ingredient in many foods.
I tend to believe that many "allergies" that people have are more in the
mind than the body.  (Which changes nothing: the mind can make one truly and
legitimately ill...  I mean no disrespect, and could talk about mind/body
issues for way too long.)

While I am not a professional chemist, I suspect that the sulfites (Which I
think is what you really mean... but "I am not") would concentrate.

Substitutes? It depends upon what effect you are trying for.  For modern
cookery, broth or orange juice or miso soups are very good and flavorful
liquids to add.  De-sulfited wine might work as well.  Flavored vinegars
with a little sweetener might work in some recipes.  Depending upon the
effect, you could try one of the health food "liquid aminos" substitutes,
some dilute Worcestshire Sauce, water, etcetera.

You could try plain grape juice.  But, if that works, you might want to
consider that grape juice contains nearly the same level of sulfur compounds
as wine does.  Our minds DO play tricks on us.

	Tibor	(Involved in a 1 year mind/body health regimen right now.
		Which works.)