SC - Re: Re[2]: sca-cooks Creativity

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Apr 15 07:21:27 PDT 1997

 I just attended a feast at Crown Tourney that
> had good food and period recipes (well except for the chocolate truffles)
> and it was well received.

I'm sorry to interject but although the feast at Crown was filling and pretty
good, I didn't see anything truly period.  The oatcakes perhaps, but nothing else
was apparently from a period source.  This is exactly the type of misconception
that this list is here to correct.

On another note about the Crown feast.  My party got to the feast a little late
but we happily found space next to some friends and set up.  A server came by and
gave us a platter of food but then took it away.  When I went to the kitchen to
ask about this I was rather rudely told that we were at the wrong table and to
find space at the on-board tables if we wanted to eat.  There was no space at the
other tables.  Before I really blew up, another member of our party took care of
the matter by talking with the head server.  The reason for this story is that
IMHO a Head Cook's main duty lies in the enjoyment of the feasters.  I truly
understand the stresses involved in cooking a feast but there should always be
someone to take care of the little disasters that always happen during feasts.
The Head Cook later apologized to me about the matter, but it still left a rather
bad taste in my mouth (so to speak) during the feast.

> I have seen many feasts which list foods that I can get at the local
> diner or barbeque place. This does not enhance my enjoyment of the SCA
> nor does it teach folks anything about the middle ages.  I always assume
> this is simply due to a lack of experience and now teach period cooking
> classes whenever possible to help give people alternatives.
>

> Clarissa

Yers,

Gunthar