SC - Re: sca-cooks Re: Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 16 06:41:28 PDT 1997

        " the wild vegetables and gamier meat had stronger basic
        flavors which are balanced better by stronger spicing?"

                                                 Philippa

        Most wild vegetables are not stronger tasting.  Very often they are
no stronger than any other vegetables and very often they are milder or the
same.

Our recent cook's guild were working on Roman style coooking and we were
using various spices.  One thing that I noticed was that the three of us
who were talking spices had very different ideas of how much.  I tended to
go light on them while Meadhbh used much more.  Working together, we came
up with a compromise.  The result for me was much too salty since I don't
cook with much salt allowing others to salt there own food.  For the others
the food was just a little too salty or okay.

Which leads me to remember that the salt cellars were kept on the table for
added salt back then......

Clare