SC - Swan!

The Cheshire Cat mfdenton at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Wed Apr 16 16:42:53 PDT 1997

Fyrean Wrote:
>O wow.  *starts contemplating where in Sydney has an overabundance of swans*
>
>>   Besides, at that time of night, after trying to figure out how to roast
>> 18 roasts in just one oven, I was a bit beyond caring what was being given
>> over to prepare.  The only question was how to get it looking reasonably
>> good.  They are very scrawny things once you pluck them.
>
>And all that neck just not being used, I guess ... could you have made swan
>soup with the neck, much like one uses chicken necks for soup?  So how
>DID you make it look decent?  And what size are they - turkey, duck, or
>inbetween?
>
>Fyrean ... eyeing the local wildlife with dinner in mind ... ;)

  Its DUCK season!...No RABBIT season!.....Duck season!!.....RABBIT season!!

Oh what the hell......SWAN season!!!!!
   Check with your local council first, I'm still a bit iffy as to whether
they are legal or not.

How to make a swan look decent.........Well, you stuff them for one thing.
Otherwise they cook up scrawnier than before, which is NOT a good look.
The necks were a problem.  We thought about sticking wire, not period, but
practical down it to support it, but the weight of the head was almost too
much.  We ended up cooking it with the neck sort of curled into a
manageable position and thenstraightened it out a bit.  (Hindsight, arrange
it first)  The most practical idea was to coat it with marchepane (don't
know if I spelt it right, but cooked swan doesn't like being co-operative
with feastocrats.  We ended up serving the neck curled around the body when
the wire finally decided that it wanted to bend.  and didn't do much else.

   We probable could have used the necks to make a soup stock, I'll keep it
in mind for next time I guess.  Noone really liked it so lots of leftovers.

- -Sianan