SC - Re Food Allergies

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Apr 19 15:30:19 PDT 1997

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:39:41 EDT skunkkiller at juno.com (Donna J. White)
writes:
>I found that if I were to have two or three versions of a dish in
>various states of completion and removing differing known allergens, I
>could effectively meet many needs (unless someone specifically >requests
something as Lord Ras mentioned) without burdening the last >minute
traveler with the demand they tell me in advance.  This way, I >can serve
the majority and still be considerate of those who may not >have thought
about a dish containing a spice or something they are >allergic to.  I
too have the recipes on hand so they can look if they >wish.

>Genevieve.

That would be the ideal.  Years ago, when feasts tended to run to 100-120
people, and all the food was cooked the day of the feast, with some prep
the night before, that was possible, and may be so today in smaller
areas.  For the most part, as the SCA has grown and super highways and
fast cars/vans have made getting to events much easier, the number of
feasters has increased tremendously, and it often seems the number of
people willing to stay in the kitchen and cook has decreased, or at least
not gotten larger.  Lots of cooking is being started, and even completed,
before the event.  I like the smaller events, and the freshly cooked
food, myself.

Allison