SC - fried fish and other foods

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 21 08:21:12 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> Hi, Katerine here.  Adamantius writes:
>
> >Seems as though the commonest method would be to fry with no coating at
> >all, using olive oil or "whyte grees": effectively lard or rendered
> >suet. Taillevent mentions frying certain fish dishes with no coating of
> >flour, presumably he wouldn't mention this unless the habit existed.
>
> Are you certain that either lard or suet was ever used?  I ask, because
> all records show virtually no consumption of fish outside of days of
> abstinence, when both lard and suet would be forbidden.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Katerine/Terry

No, I'm not certain. You'll notice I mentioned olive oil first. Other
possibilities include, depending on where you are, various nut oils,
sunflower seed oil, rapeseed oil, and several others.

Are you suggesting that meals were either all meat or all fish? I don't
think the extant menus support that.

Adamantius