SC - Apology

David Calafrancesco David.Calafrancesco at drakkar.mhv.net
Tue Apr 22 21:30:58 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote in a message to All:

 Ua> In a message dated 97-04-22 10:31:06 EDT, you write:

 Ua> << When details on the redaction are available they can be
 Ua> really   useful.  I have no desire to go without the recipes
 Ua> that have been   posted on an ongoing basis (with or without
 Ua> the originals, although   again, when they are HANDY, I
 Ua> enjoy seeing where they come from).
 Ua>  Please continue to post the recipes.  Again, I am sorry if
 Ua> I   inadvertently offended you. >>

 Ua> I apologize if I appear to have over-reacted to the request
 Ua> for documentation. :-) It all boils down to the fact that I
 Ua> have to "dig" up the info from my voluminous piles of
 Ua> unorganized notes from * years of research. I promise that I
 Ua> won't stop posting recipes but it will take some time to dig
 Ua> up the original notes and research if I am to post it with
 Ua> the recipes. Sometimes those of us who have been doing this
 Ua> sort of stuff for quite a while tend to forget that other
 Ua> people may not have libraries as extensive as our own. My
 Ua> statement of resignation to the inevitable.

May I commend an interesting piece of shareware your way to assist you in
organizing your copious notes and research. It is called Meal Master and has
achieved at least 8 versions as we currently use ver 8. My lady wife has used
it with great success to allow her to scale recipes to serve various size
feasts. She also has taken to adding references to the original recipe when she
redacts something from a period source. This wonderful program will also
generate shopping lists with all ingredients for all the recipes selected for a
feast summarized and gross quantities needed listed. We use that same list to
allow our patrons with food allergy or other concerns to check for ingredients
and look at what dishes they are in. The enclosed recipe is also suitable to be
captured back into meal master or any of several other menu databse programs.
It would certainly be nice if people would be able to share their recipes in
this format.

For example of what can be done, I enclose a simple recipe for Appulmoy:

- ---------- Recipe via UNREGISTERED Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Appulmoy
 Categories: 14th cent., Fruit
      Yield: 50 servings

     30 c  Apples                          1 1/2 c  Flour, rice
     24 c  Water                           1 1/2 c  Honey
      4 c  Almond milk                         3 ts Salt
     18 ea Saffron, threads

- --------------------------------POWDER FORT--------------------------------
    3/4 ts Pepper                              3 ts Cinnamon
      3 ts Ginger                              3 ts Cloves

    "Curye on Inglysch," edited by Constance B. Hieatt and Sharon Butler.
     Oxford University Press, 1985. pg.116 #81, from "Forme of Cury."

    Appulmoy. Take apples and seep hem in water; drawe hem thurgh a
  straynour. Take almaunde mylke and hony and flour of rys, safroun and
  powdour fort and salt, seep it stondyng.

    Redaction by Oksana Goncharova:

    Appulmoy. Take apples and boil them in water; draw them through a
  strainer. Take almond milk and honey and flour of rice, saffron and powder
  fort and salt, and boil it standing.

    Redaction instructions:

    Peel and chop apples. Cook the apples in water until tender. Drain the
  excess water. Add almond milk ( to make almond milk ; take blanched
  almonds and chop them up in a mini chopper or food processor. Take the
  chopped almonds and put them in a blender, using liquify,
   and mix water in a little at a time. I use a ratio of about 1/8 th cup of
  almond to about 1 cup of water.) Add crushed saffron (take some of the
  almond milk and crush the threads of saffron in a morter and pestle, with
  the milk.) Add rice flour, honey, salt and powder fort. Simmer over low
  heat, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened.
    This recipe can be made more spicy by adding more of the powder fort, if
  you like, my husband enjoys that, I have weaker tongue tolerance.
    This recipe takes about 15 min. to make a 3 cup batch (8) servings.

- -----

Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
haraldr at drakkar.mhv.net

Dave Calafrancesco, Team OS/2
dave at drakkar.mhv.net

... They got the library at Alexandria, they're not getting mine!
- --