SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #75

MS MARTHA L WALLENHORST Annejke at prodigy.com
Fri Apr 25 07:20:20 PDT 1997

I have to contribute a favorite tale of a traditional weird fish
dish:
Stargazy Pie, made with a regular double pie crust, whole fresh
Sardines,
Gammon, and Saffron Milk. The heads of the fish are left to poke out
of the
crust, staring upwards (thus "Stargazy").

 Classify it under *Things that make ya go HMMM?* Top that,
whydoncha!

My favorite weird dish, though I can't for sure say the style I saw
it in is period, is Sparrow Pie.  The first time I was in England I
stopped at a small restaurant in Canterbury for lunch.  I wanted
something "Really English" (I was young and stupid and didn't really
have a clue what that meant or didn't mean) so I ordered the Sparrow
Pie.  The waitress asked if I wanted that Yank style and I said "sure,
 why not!".  I had a pie served to me with a beautiful golden crust
and Sparrow feet sticking up out of it.  (Being 17, I almost lost my
cookies looking at all the little birdy feet coming out of the pie.)
I realized that everyone in the place was rolling in laughter.

The pie didn't "gaze" at me but that was bad enough.

Annejke