SC - cheese goo recipe

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Fri Apr 25 17:01:02 PDT 1997

Since a request for this recipe was made, here is part of the note I
originally received from Clarissa about "cheese goo". My appologies
if this has been posted already since I'm still catching up.

Stefan li Rous

- -------

All the recipes in his collection can be found on the World Wide Web at ::
http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~gl8f/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html

==> Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese

[original recipe found in] Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of Brye,
Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick beaten
melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or pease, or
other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton: and, if you
will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of Gambon of Bacon, or
fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or Anchovis, and set all this to
melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and stir all well together, to
Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal consistence, strew some gross
White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts or crusts of White-bread. You may
scorch it at the top with a hot Fire-Shovel.

[redaction by David Friedman and Elizabeth Cook]
1/2 lb butter
1/2 lb cream cheese
1/8 lb Brie or other strongly flavored cheese
1/4 t white pepper

Melt the butter. Cut up the cheese and stir it into the butter over low
heat. You will probably want to use a whisk to blend the two together and
keep the sauce from separating (which it is very much inclined to do). When
you have a
uniform, creamy sauce you are done. You may serve it over asparagus or other
vegetables, or over toast; if you want to brown the top, put it under the
broiling unit in your stove for a minute or so. Experiment with some of the
variations suggested in the original.

[Clarissa's Notes: I use brie cheese but I cut off the rine. Its easier to
do if the cheese is still cold.  Medium heat or better is needed and you
must stir CONSTANTLY or it will stick and burn (and never meld too). Use a
whip to stir. A heavy pan like a cast iron dutch oven is a good idea.  If
its mixed really well, it will not separate as much as if its just mixed a
little. This is a very rich sauce. I would say that this serves 8 people as
part of several removes as an appetizer or over vegetables . It serves 4 if
its the single main dish for dinner.]

Dottie Elliott  macdj at onr.com