SC - Re: sca-cooks Creativity

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.interquest.de
Sun Apr 27 05:11:07 PDT 1997

 I have just been watching an interesting British "game" show that
would apply to this thread, sort of. What they do is bring two top
chefs and give them a kitchen that is stocked with basics that
you would find in the average kitchen. Then two audience members are
given 20 pounds (about $35) to buy groceries. The chefs then have 20
minutes to prepare a meal with the ingredients and the help the
audience member. The chefs are using modern ingredients and modern techniques to
prepare modern meals. They don't have time to look up recipes, go for
extra ingredients, etc. They are working from their years of
experience and knowledge.

It made me think of the medieval cook. She/He had to create meals
with what was in the pantry, what was ripe in the garden and what the
hunters brought in. Sure, she/he had recipes in her head, knew what
seasonings complimented what vegetable or meat and the tastes of the
family. The creativity of the cook was essential in this situation,
just as it is in the television show. The meal a cook would prepare
with venison would be very different from a meal with a rabbit or
chicken.

Just some thoughts on a rainy Sunday morning.

Ysabeau of  Prague
Veilburgen, Drachenwald
Baumholder, Germany