SC - Allergies! Who is responsible?

DonArtimis at aol.com DonArtimis at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 10:52:30 PDT 1997

Greetings,

After reading all the posts on allergies for the last couple of weeks I felt
the urge to write.  As an allergy sufferer myself and being married to one I
felt the need to thank the folks who try to make it possible for us to eat
the feasts, thank you for you efforts they are greatly appreciated).
 However, I still won't be eating the feast.

Allergies are not easy to live with and for some of us it is not worth the
risk to eat at a feast that we did not prepare.  A nice addition to the feast
is a "off board"  a couple of table set aside for people, who for what ever
reason, can not eat the feast and are bringing their own food.  This allows
us to be part of the social occasion but not be as much of a confusion to the
servers.  Yes it is sort of a "second class" situation but on quite a few
occasions I have seen the "off board" tables become the "place to be" as far
as fun is concerned.

Keeping track of food allergies is a pain, that I would not wish on anyone.
 In this modern world of "modified food starch", "bromiated vegitable oil"
and "modified textured protien" it is almost impossible to keep a diet
totally pure.  Unless of course you go to the necessary extreme of making all
your own food from the bottom up, which believe me can get to be old and time
consuming.

As for who is responsible for my allergies?  I am 100% responsible, so please
do not take it wrong if I refuse to eat/taste what you are offering.  Even if
you say you make it yourself and you give me all the ingredients, because
then I will have to give you a lot of questions on sourses and brand names.

Reguards

Sally

PS. If you want to have a private discussion on how ingredients are hidden
and called different things on the ingredient list of products feel free to
write me privately.