SC - Cameline Meat Brewet

James L. Matterer jmattere at weir.net
Tue Apr 29 21:45:42 PDT 1997

Greetings,
Cameline Meat Brewet, here it is.
   Looking over the recipe, I think it might be fun to substitute red
wine for the water in the Cameline Sauce. I've never tried it, but I
think I'll have to now that I've thought of it. If anyone makes this
dish, please let me know what you think!

Master Ian

Cameline Meat Brewet
This cold meat dish comes from a reference in The Goodman of Paris,
which lists a Parisian feast of 1393 where there was served "a cameline
meat brewet - pieces of meat in a thin cinnamon sauce." Although it is
not known exactly how this particular dish was prepared, this recipe is
an approximation of how such a meat brewet may have been created. Curye
on Inglish describes two cold brewets, one without meat (p. 128) and one
with (p. 129).

2 lbs. beef, sliced into thin strips
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Meat butter in pan, add meat and seasonings and saute until done. Drain
well and let cool. Place meat in a sealable container and add Cameline
Sauce to cover. Refrigerate for several days, agitating container once a
day. Remone from marinade and serve cold or at room temperature.
Serves 4 - 8.

Cameline Sauce
"Pound ginger, plenty of cinnamon, cardamon, mace, long pepper if you
wish, then squeeze out bread soaked in vinegar and strain it all
together and salt it just right." -  Le Viandier de Taillevent, from
Food in History, p. 219.

Unlike many sauces, this one is unboiled as per the description in Le
Viandier de Taillevent, p. 219: "Cameline sauce has cinnamon as its
predominant ingredient and is unboiled." Le Viandier also advises us
that not all sauces contained binding agents (p. 23-24). Bearing that in
mind, the bread crumbs have been left out of this version of the recipe.

1 c. each cider vinegar and water
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. each of ginger, cloves, mace, cardamon, pepper, and salt
Combine liquids, add spices and mix thoroughly with a wire whisk. Taste
for seasonings and adjust accordingly. Use immediately or refrigerate
for later use.