Saracen Sauce

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 8 09:16:57 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> What are the ingredients of your Saracen Sauce?
>
> Derdriu

Blanched (presumably peeled) almonds, toasted in olive oil until light
brown, cooled, and ground into fairly fine meal. Rose hips are an
optional addition, they would make the dish more tart than it would be
without them. This is then either "drawn up" with hot almond milk, capon
broth, red wine, or some combination thereof. It should be quite thick,
and if it isn't thick enough, you can thicken it with rice flour. It
should be red in color, traditionally alkanet is the standard coloring,
but I'm not certain I'd use anything but standard red vegetable
coloring, unless perhaps I used a bit of powdered red sandalwood, which
is also a bit iffy. Standard garnish are a sprinkling of pomegranite
cells, berries, seeds, etc (whatever you call them).

I don't have a modern redaction at hand, but could probably produce one
pretty easily...

Hopeful regards,

G. Tacitus Adamantius