Hello!

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Wed Apr 9 09:17:26 PDT 1997

Angie Capozello wrote:

> ....  I'm currently a fairly good cook, but have not
> done much research into medieval foods until now.  Two things I am
> interested in learning more about are camp cooking - any recipes for
> pennsic I can get!

My wife recently wrote an article on this subject; take a look at
http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/camp.cooking.html.

> And also, I'd like to know what sort of spices, herbs
> and veggies were grown in the typical medieval kitchen garden (if they had
> them - I'm sure they didn't buy everything at the market).  I'd love to
> start my own garden so I can have fresh foods when I'm experimenting with
> a new recipe.

I recently read a fascinating book on reconstructing medieval gardens,
written by a lady who does it professionally at historical sites in
Great Britain.  I'll look up the bibliographic information when I get
home.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu