Re(2): New to List

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 9 13:20:16 PDT 1997

> > Hi, I'm Rita (the confused at the moment), of Al-Barran, and I know next
> > to nothing about period cooking...
> > Any and all suggestions about camp out cooking would be greatly
appreciated.
> > The only things I can cook that may be period are stew and sausages.
> > I don't know if my sausage-recipe is period, since I don't make the
> > sausages myself.
> > Rita
> >

> Hello and welcome Rita,
>
> As to camp cooking the best start I can think of is to get a dutch oven and
maybe
> a grill or spit.  You can do amazing things with these items.  Also a food
> dehydrator makes life in camp much easier as well.
>
> Stews and sausages are wonderful beginnings to learning period recipes,
especially
> for camp meals.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

Just make sure that anything you wear doesn't dangle, trip, or in other ways
be likely to catch fire.  Droopy sleeves are fine if you can tie them out of
your way and be *sure* they stay that way.  Make yourself a couple of
knee-length, close-armed "grungy" T-tunics for cooking and you'll be a lot
happier.

Also, go to your nearest thrift store and pick up any pots you might want.
They're cheap so you won't mind if they get rather nastry.  Make sure you
bring bags or boxes to store them in so they don't get all over everything
else.  My mother swears by oven cleaner for cleaning them, but that's not too
feasible until you get them home.

Don't forget something to brew coffee in and a pot for hot water for tea,
cocoa, whatnot.  I know cocoa's not period, but try getting most kids to drink
anything else hot!

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/