Re(2): sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Thu Apr 10 12:49:08 PDT 1997

  (Wondering aloud)  I am not a Chinese/Indian scholar, my focus is the British
  Isles, but I have heard that corn was also a word used for wheat.  Is there
  any veracity to this claim?

Corn is the term for a "native grain crop", which is why people specify
"maize" when they don't want to be misunderstood.  Check the OED...

. corn \'ko.(*)rn\ n [ME, fr. OE; akin to OHG & ON korn grain, L granum,
   GK ge-ras] often attrib  old age chiefly dial  1: a small hard particle :
   GRAIN 2: a small hard seed 3a: the seeds of a cereal grass and esp. of the
   important cereal crop of a particular region (as in Britain wheat, in
   Scotland and Ireland oats, and in the New World and Australia Indian corn)
   3b: the kernels of sweet corn served as a vegetable while still soft and
   milky 4: a plant that produces corn 5: something that is corny
   local hardening and thickening of epidermis (as on a toe)

	Tibor