sca-cooks Re: Re(2): Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 10 12:54:52 PDT 1997

Stephen Bloch wrote:

> Tibor wrote:
> > I'm sure meat animals are less fatty and more meaty.
>
> Possible, but it seems to me equally likely that modern meat animals are
> MORE fatty.  Probably tenderer, in either case, since they're raised in
> stalls rather than grazing in fields or woods.  And I have NO idea what
> effect all those antibiotics and growth hormones have on the taste, but
> it could be significant.
>                                         Steve / Joshua

I imagine it would depend on whether the animal was domestic or game,
also. People used to regard prize-winning pigs, for instance, as "fine,
fat pigs". Nowadays we seem to be obsessed with leanness. Venison, on
the other hand, is often rather dry unless fat is introduced from other
sources.

To add to the puzzle, have you looked at medieval renditions of various
animals? Pigs evidently looked little like what they do today, so their
physiology would appear to have been a bit different.

Adamantius